Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Noni's Corned Beef and Cabbage


Happy St. Patricks Day everyone! I hope you found something green to keep from getting pinched. I am really excited for this post. Today I am sharing one of my favorite recipes from my grandma Noni's kitchen. I am very fortunate to be really close to my grandparents and one of the perks is gaining traditional family recipe tips and tricks. I asked Noni if she would teach me how to make her famous corned beef and cabbage this year for St. Patricks day and she said yes! Yay! So I spent a whole day taking a cooking class from her. This recipe is not as hard as it looks as long as you are patient. It is very time consuming but it tastes fantastic and you can use the left overs for Reuben Sandwiches. You can find a step-by-step recipe below with ingredients. Be sure to check back for more of my family's favorite recipes soon! Enjoy. 


  • 1 lb of corned beef — (spices should be included with the beef packaging)
  • 1.5 lb of golden small potatoes
  • 1 head of cabbage
Boil for 1.5 - 2 hours, reduce heat, and simmer for another 3 - 4 hours (until tender)
Add all golden potatoes and cook with the meat for 35-40 minutes
Add 1.5 of broken up cabbage rinsed and shredded add to meat and potatoes
Continue to cook for another 20 minutes
Remove meat and let cool
Slice meat against the grain and serve with the potatoes and cabbage and your choice of beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment