Monday, July 2, 2012

Girls Only!!!

I had a wake up call this last week... I went to an interview for an internship and of course I got dressed up. You know... high heels and a pretty blouse. I was shocked when I sat down and the interviewer grabbed my resume crossed off anything that insinuated receptionist and told me that any idiot could transfer a phone and type on a computer. She said "never wear heels here again and loose the nice outfit" oh and your hired. I was excited but shocked!


On the drive home I thought to myself, I really sort of set myself up for that one however, I am glad that she acted in this way it made me feel more valued that I was being given an important opportunity and not one that just any "idiot" as she so blatantly put it could do.


This reminds me of a few things first, coming up at the Seattle Art Museum beginning October 11, 2012 through January 13, 2013....


I am so excited for this exhibition to see some of the most influential and great female artist of all time. Really I don't know much about each individual artist and I will take this opportunity to learn more. I find exhibitions like this so motivational.


Second, while I'm on the subject I just looked up the painting "Horse Fair" which is a personal favorite to see who it was done by and it was done by a female artist Rosa Bonheur.... (side tracked I know)




On the other hand...


My new addiction of the Series Downton Abbey reminds me to be careful what you wish for... I know that it is great that women can run around in jeans and a baseball hat and no one thinks twice and don't get me wrong "thats the way it should be!" but every time I watch this series I find myself wishing that it were still the norm to wear gorgeous dresses like these...


well here's to female empowerment... and remember to mark your calendar for October 11th to visit the Seattle Art Museum.

This is the blurb from the LA Times in regards to the bold all girl show:

"Beginning with early 20th century paintings by French artist Suzanne Valadon and ending with works by up-to-the-minute figures such as Japan's Mariko Mori, Switzerland's Pipilotti Rist and England's Rachel Whiteread, "elles" will offer an international array of paintings, sculptures, installations, drawings, photographs, prints, videos, furniture and architectural models.

Visitors who stroll through thematic and chronological sections spread across two floors of the museum will find a mixture of mainstream art, functional design and feminine attitude. Niki de Saint Phalle's towering sculpture of a monstrous bride will be there, along with a sleek aluminum cabinet by Janette Laverrier, a soft-edge abstract painting by Helen Frankenthaler and a Sanja Ivekovic video of a woman cutting holes in a black veil that covers her face."

Click here to see the rest >>> La Times

So what do you think? I think this is fantastic, but would love to hear your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment