Thursday, August 23, 2012

Defining Leadership

Leadership...

This is the key word in my life right now...

The Masters in Arts Leadership Program is everything I thought it was going to be at least from what I can see so far... and much much more.

In the first class that I have been taking at Seattle University I have been drug through many different leadership models and styles of which have many strengths and weaknesses. (or pages of disclaimers about how little it has been studied and so on) 

Through my studies so far I have been forced to question my own leadership skills, abilities, weaknesses, and strengths. It has become apparent to me that first off... I have a long way to go in this area, but also that leadership requires much more than having a vision and motivating everyone else to support that vision. 

My ideas are forming and I guess this blog is a fun, safe place to lay them all down and feedback would be greatly appreciated ~

So. My definition of leadership. Equals. 

  • Passion for the thing you are trying to accomplish, which implies there is a goal and indeed I believe you must have a goal to be a leader, even if that goal is to support another leaders vision.
  • Concern for people who will be influenced by your vision along with the people you are inspiring to follow you. (A good leader cannot be narcissistic or have bad intentions for either his/her followers or for the people who will be effected by their vision for example: Hitler)
  • Unconventional Problem Solver, I say unconventional because I believe it is the people who search outside the box who are going to solve the problems of our communities and a lot of the time breaking the rules or going against the currant of our society is what it takes to access the answers that seem to be hidden.
I will add more to this idea as I learn more but for now I think this is a good start... stay tuned.


Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Harold R. McAlindon







No comments:

Post a Comment