Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Savvy Organizing 101

Somthing that I have always been pretty good at, and I credit to my mom, is being organized. Ever since I was in elementary school I have been cleaning and organizing my room and now apartment. I have to say as time goes on and I accumulate more things and my schedule gets busier it's harder and harder to stay organized. So to help get me back on track I have decided to write a blog post on cleaning and organizing Ashley style. What you have to remember is these 4 tips which are as follows...
1. Dare to dump
The first rule of cleaning is to sort out the things that are garbage, and purge old items that can be donated to goodwill, two tips here...

One: if you have not used it in over a year you probably won't and if you are not attached to the item for other reasons it can go.

Two: packaging takes up ALOT of space so for items that are still in their store bought container unwrap and recycle, recycle, recycle.
2. Visualize
What do you want your space to look like when it's done. Think about it, maybe you can move some furniture, restack things, hang items that are on the floor or taking up space in a drawer. Consistancy is key for instance if you have a closet full of wire hangers... trash them! buy matching hangers color and all your closet will imediatly appear more organized because all of your clothes will hang at the same leghth.

3. Sanitize
The trick to "sanitizing" is to do it while you are organizing. When you pick up an item clean underneath and behind it example: books on a shelf. When you clean out your fridge take all the items out and then clean. It is much more effiecient this way. Also wash everything! hats, pillowcases, shoes, blankets... these are items we forget about but can be put through the washer and hung to dry in most cases.

4. Include a project
And last but not least add a fun project to your work. This makes cleaning fun and when your all done you have somthing new to add and enjoy in your home. 

A LITTLE FREE BEE... printable grocery list

Below is my fist apartment and eventually "our" first apartment, we had a limited budget and not a lot of furniture, but I think the space turned out pretty awsome! we loved it so much... 

Not all clutter is bad!


Actually making the bed helps your room to look so much better!


p.s. husbands do come in handy for vaccuming! 
Happy Organizing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment