Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 3: All in a Days Vacation

Day three of our vacation I realized just how much my amazing husband was going to cram into one day... he is like the Chevy Chase of Hawaii. 

We started off going and getting a couples massage at the Pua Day Spa which was the perfect way to start the perfect day although, massage oil and mosquitos don't mix very well. 

After our spa day, we drove to Smith's Paradise (so not a authentic name I know) here is where we boarded the Walter III Jr lol to head to the Fern Grotto....
Before boarding the river boat Paul and I had about 45 minutes to burn so we walked through "Smith Paradise" which was a giant... creepy bird infested luau ground... we literally were followed by hundreds of birds... I am so glad we didn't buy any feed... I can't imagine.

Then we boarded the boat for the Fern Grotto... the ride out to the grotto was plesant but the scenery was much of the same. When we finally got to the grotto I was surprised that you could not walk up to it. Apparently, a few years back it had rained for 44 straight days and the mountain began to collapse... rocks the size of cars were falling from it so the state cut off access to the small grotto (small being that it could fit 150 people in it) We stood looking at the grotto from a porch like structure with a bunch of other couples and the tour guides also talented musicians, played the Hawaii Wedding Song... at the end we were told to kiss the person we were with... which I did and so did everyone else... and then jokingly the announcer says "now kiss someone you don't know ha ha" which no one did... except this one old lady who made a b-line for me... so weird... only me I swear...


The ferns in the grotto were not as long as they once were, Hurricane Iniki stripped the grotto of them in 1982 however, what is there is what has grown back since then. This really puts into perspective how important it is not to destroy nature, it is so hard for somethings to heal themselves. 

Returning from the fern grotto, Paul and I decided we wanted to find a fruit stand to buy fresh fruit and a beach to enjoy it on. Paul had watched a documentary of the island and discovered that the best fruit stand on the island was near to us... Banana Joe's. We drove and drove trying to find the place and when we did... of course it was closed till June 1st. Then we set off to find a beach which you would think would be easy but when your driver keeps taking "short cuts" you end up at places like this....


No beach just a huge cliff... beautiful huge cliff.

We eventually made it to Salt Pond Beach where we or should I say I laid in the sun and Paul recorded the waves... of course... Paul can't exactly swim so when I looked up and he was gone along with his recording equipment... I panicked, but then I saw what everyone on the beach was staring at.... the guy with the head phones...


Wait... here's a close up... this sexy guy... and his portable audio recorder. Don't even ask how he got it through the airport... lets just say I warned him not to put it in his carry on...


Well that pretty much sums up our third day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment